Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's 2008

Here's an email Peter wrote about our New Year's eve, which was just about the right amount of activity for us
Happy Happy Happy Everyone!!

We got back from our New Year's Get-Together a few minutes ago. We went to a local couple (Susanna and Rob)'s house, with both their mothers and one father. (Their kids went to bed before we got there a bit before 9.) We played Rummikub, and then got the idea to get the Chaos Toy, so I drove home and got it (3 blocks or so). The rest of the evening was spent putting it together. It wasn't quite done at midnight, but we finished it off shortly thereafter (after watching the New York ball drop replay on TV) and fired it up. For something thrown together, it worked pretty well! Not all the balls fell off every time, and it had a trampoline, two catches, two drops, a vortex, a pendulum split, a couple bells, and a bell drop. Maybe in a few days we will have some pictures to share (we forgot to bring our camera, but Susanna took some pictures).

Peter

I wanted to go out this year, though not to any big party, because I think that if you simply sit at home with no real plan on New Year's Eve, you might as well just go to bed. I remember clearly just when I decided this. It was the night of Dec 31, 1998 to Jan 1, 1999. I believe that my family had all been in Utah for Christmas, but had to drive home before New Year. I had just moved into the Allred apartments -- after the long process of getting out of the second half of my contract for the last apartment because of problems with roommates, and bad living conditions in general -- but I hadn't met any of my roommates except my cousin Holly since they were all elsewhere on winter break. I don't remember where Doug was that day, but I ended up spending New Year's Eve all alone in the new apartment. I watched the six hour Pride and Prejudice, pausing it at midnight to watch the ball drop. Somewhere in Provo, they were setting off fireworks, so I went out on the porch to watch them, and shared my ramen noodles with a stray cat. It was extremely depressing in a start-of-While-You-Were-Sleeping sort of way, and I decided that it was important to me not to spend any more New Years alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I spent a New Year's alone once--I think it was 02-03. I was in a hotel in Wyoming driving to Utah--I think I watched it on TV Eastern time while on the phone with my mom, but they didn't show the ball! It was very disappointing. I had to drive the rest of the way the next day, so I think I just went to sleep.

I'm glad you guys had a good time!

FYI--there's a "baby shower" gift coming for you via UPS any day, but probably Friday-ish. I hope that Elizabeth comes soon, and I also hope that someone is there to get the package!!