Friday, April 27, 2007

Mobile Home II

So I went to see the mobile home yesterday. If we buy it, it will need a LOT of work. The floor really is falling apart in places, the carpet hasn't been cleaned since it was originally installed in 1970, and so has black lines in the high traffic areas. It will simply have to go -- as will the linoleum in the kitchen. The walls all have that fake wood paneling - so they'll have to be painted, and they'll still have the grooves. The appliances are just as ancient as everything else. I really don't know whether the Bank would lend us money for such a thing -- we certainly couldn't re-sell it for a profit after a few years, I doubt we could re-sell it at all. I'm OK with the idea that all our money would be gone when we moved out -- that's no different than renting -- but what if we want to move before we've paid it off? It'll take at least five years under the best of circumstances.

The trouble is, I really like the idea of living there. It's much closer to the places that I go, and not too far for Peter. It has a bit of lawn and a rose garden. The people in the park are friendly and will talk to you. The land rent is cheap.

Sigh. I don't even know if we'll qualify. I should get the paperwork next week.

No comments: